Guidelines for Session Chairs
Thank you for accepting the appointment to be a session chair for the 1st International Research Forum of the Center for Graduate Studies of the Adventist University of the Philippines in collaboration with the Research Office. Below are the guidelines to help you as you do the chairing process. Please be reminded that sessions must start and finish on time to keep the order of the program of the conference.
Before the Session
- Review abstracts for your session which are available on the conference website (www.aup.edu.ph/1irf).
- Review the speakers biography (also available on the conference). You may use this information to introduce your speaker. Limit the introduction to a maximum of 1 minute.
- Be at your room assignment at least 5 minutes prior to the commencement of your session.
- Each room is equipped with projectors and laptops to be used for the presentation.
- Presentations loaded from the website portal will be used during the presentation. No USB drive shall be inserted in the laptops provided. The use of personal laptops is discouraged as it may use up some time. If in case a powerpoint presentation was not uploaded on the portal, the presenter will be allowed to present however he is expected to provide his own handout for the audience.
- Advise the presenters that time will be strictly monitored (The secretariat will be providing you with flashcards that will serve as the warning for presenters). Presentation time is 12 minutes and 3 minute for question and answers.
During the Session
- Begin the session with a short prayer.
- Introduce the presentor using their biography. You may ask the presentor for the information you need for their introduction. Include the title of the presentation as well as their affiliation/institution.
- Monitor the time. Give the last 2-minute warning by raising the flash card provided.
- End the presentation after 12 minutes.
- Start the question and answer portion of the presentation for about 3 minutes.
- There will be presentations with two (2) presentors. For this format the total number of minutes allotted for the entire presentation will still be 12 minutes. The 12 minute presentation shall then be divided by the two (2) presentors.)
- Remind the audience to treat each presentor with respect. Questions that seems to humiliate the presenter must be stopped.
- Remind the audience that presentations have been evaluated by their respective affiliations, therefore it is discouraged to give suggestions or comments that seeks to revise the current research presented.