College of Arts and Humanities
Dev/Mass Communication Department
The Bachelor of Science in Dev/Mass Communication is a four-year undergraduate degree program that teaches students to apply the theories, principles and techniques of communication. The degree program is specifically aimed at enabling students to:
- Acquire a theoretical base in the sciences and applied arts that underlie the study of communication;
- Learn practical skills in mass communication;
- Apply the concepts, principles and skills of mass communication in communicating developmental issues;
- Proclaim the good news to the world with the aid of media.
Language Department (English)
The English Department aims to develop in its students the ability to communicate the gospel effectively to their fellowmen through:
- Using the language correctly, clearly and effectively in speaking and writing;
- Understanding spoken and written English;
- Reading great literature with enjoyment and critical insight; and
- Enhancing communicative competence in addressing academic needs.
Language Department (Filipino)
- Malinang ang mga estudyante tungo sa pagtatamo ng lokal at global na kahusayan sa paggamit ng wikang pambansa sa mga makrong kasanayang pangwika sa aspektong ispiritwal at sekular;
- Mapaigting ang pagmamahal at pagpapahalaga sa wikang pambansa, panitikang rehiyonal at panitikang pambansa;
- Mapataas ang kalidad ng kaalaman at kasanayang pangwika, panliteratura at pampagtuturo ng mga kumukuha ng kursong edukasyon para sa elementarya, sekondarya at tersyarya;
- Makiisa at makisangkot sa mga lokal at nasyonal na programang pangwika na lalong makalilinang ng Pilipinong pagkakakilanlan.
Fine Arts Department
- To emphasize in the classroom that the Creator is the Author of all laws of nature upon which the elements and principles of art were established.
- To integrate in the classroom the elements and principles of art and how it is related to the practical and spiritual life of humanity.
- To encourage students to fully train their mental faculties to be creative int eh field of visual arts.
- To make the students aware of relevant social and spiritual issues and how they relate to their creativity and expression in the production of art.
- To equip students with the essential knowledge and skills in the visual arts to make them useful and competent artists ready to perform significant roles in our society.
- To provide art activities which will enhance art literacy among students and the community as well.
- To encourage students to use the visual arts as a means of artistic expression through Christian service in reaching out for the art enthusiasts and to the higher level of society.
The Bachelor of Tradigital Fine Arts is a 4-year degree program offered under the College of Arts, Sciences and Technology (CAST) of the Adventist University of the Philippines (AUP). It is an innovative Fine Arts program which equally combines both the traditional method of art composition and the creative application of new digital computer technology. Thus, a student learns both the techniques of the Masters and the global trend of digital artists. The degree course upgrades the popular notion that Fine Arts deals only with hand brushes, oils, temperas and canvases because it also explores the unlimited media of “visual arts of the future.”
The curriculum program of Bachelor of Tradigital Fine Arts has been formulated on the following premises:
- Art evolves and therefore, it should keep abreast of the changing need of the time; (i.e. traditional and digital methods must synergize and neither any of these two must be neglected.)
- Artistry and creativity should not be completely dependent upon any programmed software and technical designs but through the original concept and actual application of an artist.
- Artists are still the decision makers when it comes to their artworks.
- The University must be able to meet the professional standard and economic demands for artists as a profession globally.
As a denominational University, AUP believes that God is the Creator and the Master Artist of this Universe. And He did not set any limitations as to how human beings should appreciate, interpret, and replicate His creation. Thus, the AUP Fine Arts curriculum adopts the merging of traditional and digital arts as a new academic media in creating works of art.
History and Social Sciences Department
- To strengthen teaching faculty through seminars and upgrading.
- To develop students capable of integrating faith and learning not only in their own field of study but also able to see God’s divine intervention in history.
- To develop would-be teachers of history ready to teach and meet the challenges of the time.
- To the training of technically equipped, academically prepared and service-oriented music educators, primarily for the Philippines and other Asia-Pacific countries.
- To discovering and nurturing the musically inclined and talented for artistic expression and Christian service.
- To the promotion and advancement of music literacy, appreciation and discrimination among the students from elementary through college.
- To the aesthetic and cultural development of the school community through a musical environment, with high standards of music and performance.
- To being a music resource center, for Asia-Pacific educational institutions, the Philippine International Church and other local churches, the surrounding communities, and assisting in the gospel proclamation of the church.
Physical Education Department
- To help students develop physically by providing them a working knowledge and attainable high degree of physical fitness through the different loco-motor and non-loco-motor movements and motor skills of every activity available for them.
- To help students develop mentally through the knowledge of the rules, strategies and safety measures of every sport they are interested in; to learn how to appreciate sports, exercises and its aesthetic effects on the body, and the wise use of leisure.
- To prepare students socially by providing them ability to get along with others and acquire the habits and attitudes concerning standards of right ideals and human conduct in social gathering, recreation and sports, especially moments of defeat and victory.
- To help students morally by teaching them their responsibility to their fellowmen and most of all to God whenever, wherever and whatever sport they may engage in.
- To enable students understand human behavior and effect positive adjustment towards life’s realities.
- To train prospective psychologists and counselors for clinical, industrial, and school settings.
- To enhance the mental health of students who in turn become agents of change for others.
- To provide professional leadership assistance to other departments through administration and interpretation of the standardized psychological test.
- To reach out to students who are experiencing crisis, developmental problems, family problems, etc. and facilitate their growth and development.