COLLEGE OF NURSING
The AUP College of Nursing is committed to provide Bible-based nursing education, nurturing students for excellent caring and healing ministry, and quality leadership in varied nursing disciplines.
To produce exemplary nurses to serve the world and to be a leading Adventist nursing education provider in the Asia-Pacific region by 2022.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- Apply knowledge of physical, social, natural and health sciences, and humanities in the practice of nursing
- Provide safe, appropriate and holistic care to individuals, families, population groups and community utilizing nursing process.
- Apply guidelines and principles of evidence-based practice in the delivery of care.
- Practice nursing in accordance with existing laws, legal, ethical and moral principles.
- Communicate effectively in speaking, writing and presenting using culturally-appropriate language.
- Document to include reporting up-to-date client care accurately and comprehensively.
- Work effectively in collaboration with inter-,intra-and multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Practice beginning management and leadership skills in the delivery of client care using a systems approach.
- Conduct research with an experienced researcher.
- Engage in lifelong learning with a passion to keep current with national and global developments in general, and nursing and health developments in particular.
- Demonstrate responsible citizenship and pride of being a Filipino.
- Apply techno-intelligent care systems and processes in health care delivery.
- Adopt the nursing core values in the practice of the profession.
- Apply entrepreneurial skills in the delivery of nursing care.
- Demonstrate AUP philosophy of education, values, and principles in their personal and professional lives.
- Integrate relevant principles of social, physical, natural and health sciences and humanities in a given health and nursing situation.
- Apply appropriate nursing concepts and actions holistically and comprehensively.
- Assessment with the client (individual, family, population group, and/or community), one’s health status/competence.
- Formulate with the client a plan of care to address the health conditions, needs, problems and issues based on priorities.
- Implement safe and quality interventions with the client to address the health needs, problems and issues.
- Provide health education using selected planning models to targeted clientele (individuals, family, population group or community).
- Evaluate with the client the health status/competence and/or process/expected outcomes of nurse-client working relationship.
- Institute appropriate corrective actions to prevent or minimize harm arising from adverse effects.
- Provide appropriate evidence based nursing care using a participatory approach based on: variety of theories and standards relevant to health and healing, research, clinical practice, client preferences, client and staff safety, and customer care standards.
- Adhere to ethico-legal considerations when providing safe, quality and professional nursing care.
- Apply ethical reasoning and decision making process to address situations of ethical distress and moral dilemma.
- Adhere to established norms of conduct based on the Philippine Nursing Law and other legal, regulatory and institutional requirements relevant to safe nursing practice.
- Protect clients rights based on “Patient’s Bill of Rights and Obligations”.
- Implement strategies/policies related to informed consent as it applies in multiple contexts.
- Ensure a working relationship with the client and/or support system based on trust, respect and shared decision-making using appropriate communication/interpersonal techniques/strategies.
- Document client’s responses/nursing care services rendered and processes/outcomes of the nurse client working relationship.
- Ensure completeness, integrity, safety, accessibility and security of information.
- Adhere to protocol and principles of confidentiality in safekeeping and releasing of records and other information.
- Ensure intra-agency, inter-agency, multidisciplinary and sectorial collaboration in the delivery of health care.
- Implement strategies/approaches to enhance/support the capability of the client and care providers to participate in decision making by the inter-professional team.
- Maintain a harmonious and collegial relationship among members of the health team for effective, efficient and safe client care.
- Coordinate the tasks/functions of other nursing personnel (midwife, BHW and utility worker).
- Collaborate with other members of the health team in the implementation of programs and services.
- Apply principles of partnership and collaboration to improve delivery of health services.
- Collaborate with GOs, NGOs and other socio-civic agencies to improve health care services, support environment protection policies and strategies, and safety and security mechanisms in the community.
- Participate as a member of a quality team in implementing the appropriate quality improvement process on identified improvement opportunities.
- Participate in the development and improvement of policies and standards regarding safe nursing practice and relevant to human resources management.
- Manage resources (human, physical, financial time efficiency and effectively.
- Apply management and leadership principles in providing direction to manage a community/village-based.
- Use appropriate strategies/approaches to plan community health programs and nursing service.
- Supervise the implementation of the nursing component of the health services/programs.
- Ensure that all nursing personnel adhere to standards of safety, bioethical principles and evidence based nursing practice.
- Evaluate specific components of health programs and nursing services based on parameters/criteria.
- Maintain a positive practice environment.
- Participate in the planning and implementation of staff development activities to enhance performance of nursing support staff.
- Evaluate performance of nursing support staff using standard evaluation tool.
- Participate in preparing a research proposal complying with the ethical principles in nursing research.
- Conduct a research study as a member of a research team.
- Determine if the research problems/questions, learning outcomes and/or hypotheses are clearly and logically linked to the research purpose, concepts and relationships, and propositions generated from the study framework.
- Analyze if the conceptual framework the summary of review of related literature, research design, and data analysis procedure are logically linked with the research purpose, problems/questions, and hypotheses.
- Establish if the interpretation, implications, and recommendations are consistent with the results considering the limitations of the study.
- Analyze the research study/report of adherence to standards of writing mechanisms, ethical principles and guidelines in all phases of the research study.
- Present the research study conducted in partnership with a research team.
- Assume responsibility for lifelong learning, own personal developmental and maintenance of competence.
- Demonstrate continued competence and professional growth.
- Engage in advocacy activities to influence health social care service policies and access to services.
- Model professional behavior.
- Engage in advocacy activities to deal with health related concerns and adopts policies that foster the growth and development of the nursing profession.
- Exemplify love for country in service of the Filipinos.
- Customize nursing interventions based on Phil culture and values.
- Use appropriate technology to perform safe and efficient nursing activities.
- Implement system of informatics to support the delivery of health care.
- Demonstrate caring as the core of nursing, love God, love of country and love of people.
- Manifest professionalism, integrity and excellence.
- Project the positive professional image of a Filipino Nurse.
- Identify opportunities for entrepreneurial nursing practice.
- Apply strategic interventions to address health-related concerns of individuals, families, communities and population groups to any health care setting.
- Reflect a character and behavior that is according to Adventist standards and principles in the practice of the profession.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES
- Competent beginning staff nurse with exposure to leadership roles and empowered nurse researcher in Adventist healthcare institutions or in other institutions in any healthcare setting.
- Expert nurse in any of the following fields of practice: Ambulatory Care Nurse, Cardiovascular Nurse, Critical Care Nurse, Diabetes Educator, Emergency Care Nurse, Enterostomal and Wound Care Nurse, Entrepreneurial Nurse, Nephrology Nurse, Hospice/Palliative Nurse, Nephrology Nurse, Neurologic Nurse, Informatics Nurse, Oncology Nurse, Orthopedic Nurse, Renal Nurse and Telehealth Nurse.
- Specialist/consultant in any of the following fields of practice: Occupational Health Nurse, School Nurse, Home Health Nurse, Health and Wellness Nurse, Military Nurse.
- Nurse Educator and Nurse Specialist in Adventist nursing schools or in any other nursing schools.
- Middle Nurse Manager and Nurse Executive in Adventist healthcare or nursing education institution or in any other health/health-related institutions.